Welcome to the CodeSmith Community!

Lookup of Many-to-Many relationship

.netTiers

A description has not yet been added to this group.

Lookup of Many-to-Many relationship

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 9 Replies |
  • 2 Followers
  • I'm wondering if something is wrong with my configuration or my database, because I haven't been able to find any generated code that allows me to do a many-to-many lookup.

I have 3 tables in my DB: 

• User (Id, Code, Password, Active)
    • Role (Id, Code, Description)
    • UserRole (Id, User, Role)

The 'UserRole' table has two FKs. One to 'User' and the other to 'Role'. I want to write some code that will retrieve a list of Roles that one User belongs to. So basically I have the 'Code' field on the 'User' table. I checked the properties for generating:

<property name="IncludeManyToMany">True</property>
    <property name="ManyToManyFormat">{0}From{1}</property>

These look like the proper values. However, I still don't get anything methods generated that have the word 'From' in it. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

For a while there I thought that my problem was that I had a PK of Id on the UserRole table. I removed that Id from the table and re-generated and still nothing with the 'From' syntax. I then specified the PK to be the User and Role fields on the UserRole table and re-generated. Still no luck.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

• On your RoleProvider, you should have method that looks something like GetByIdFromUserRole where you would pass in the Id of the user you want to get the roles for.  If you can post your complete DDL for the 3 tables (tables schemas, pks and relationships) we can provide additional help.

[edit] UserRoleProvider should be RoleProvider

Ben Johnson
    ------------------------------
     Member of the .NetTiers team
     Visit http://www.nettiers.com

• Also, on your User entity you should have a property called RoleCollection_From_UserRole that returns TList<Role>.  You can deep load this property like:

UserService service = new UserService();
    User user = service.GetById(id); //Provide your user id here
    service.DeepLoad(user, true, DeepLoadType.IncludeChildren, typeof(TList<Role>));

TList<Role> roles = user.RoleCollection_From_UserRole;

Ben Johnson

• I checked my RoleProvider and there isn't a method called 'GetIdFromUserRole'. I also checked my User Entity for the property 'RoleCollection_From_UserRole' and I couldn't find that either. To be completely certain that I wasn't looking in the wrong place, I performed a search on the generated code that looked for the string 'IdFrom' and got 0 matches.

Here is my DDL for the tables:

CREATE TABLE [Security].[Role](
        [Id] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
        [Code] [nvarchar](50) NOT NULL,
        [Description] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
     CONSTRAINT [PK_Role] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
    (
        [Id] ASC
    )WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY]
    ) ON [PRIMARY]

CREATE TABLE [Security].[User](
        [Account] [int] NULL,
        [AccountCode] [nvarchar](50) NULL,
        [Password] [varchar](32) NULL,
        [Hint] [varchar](200) NULL,
        [Culture] [varchar](10) NULL,
        [Active] [bit] NOT NULL,
     CONSTRAINT [PK_User] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
    (
        [Id] ASC
    )WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY],
     CONSTRAINT [IX_User_Account] UNIQUE NONCLUSTERED
    (
        [Account] ASC
    )WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY],
     CONSTRAINT [IX_User_Code] UNIQUE NONCLUSTERED
    (
        [Code] ASC
    )WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY]
    ) ON [PRIMARY]

ALTER TABLE [Security].[User]  WITH CHECK ADD  CONSTRAINT [FK_User_Account] FOREIGN KEY([Account])
    REFERENCES [Genealogy].[Account] ([ID])
    ON DELETE SET NULL
    GO
    ALTER TABLE [Security].[User] CHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_User_Account]

CREATE TABLE [Security].[RoleUser](
        [User] [int] NOT NULL,
        [Role] [int] NOT NULL,
     CONSTRAINT [PK_RoleUser] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
    (
        [Id] ASC
    ) ON [PRIMARY]

GO
    ALTER TABLE [Security].[RoleUser]  WITH CHECK ADD  CONSTRAINT [FK_RoleUser_Role] FOREIGN KEY([Role])
    REFERENCES [Security].[Role] ([Id])
    GO
    ALTER TABLE [Security].[RoleUser] CHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_RoleUser_Role]
    GO
    ALTER TABLE [Security].[RoleUser]  WITH CHECK ADD  CONSTRAINT [FK_RoleUser_User] FOREIGN KEY([User])
    REFERENCES [Security].[User] ([Id])
    GO
    ALTER TABLE [Security].[RoleUser] CHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_RoleUser_User]

• Ben,

I think he is missing  composite primary key for UserRole table on User and Role columns, eh?

Mike Shatny
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Member of the .netTiers team http://www.nettiers.com

• I'll give that a try, but one question first. Should I get rid of the Id field on the UserRole table before making the composite key? Or should I just make a composite key that includes the Id, User, and Role fields? 

• csd,

Yes, you don't need Id column (you may want to also name User column to be UserId and Role - RoleId)

Mike Shatny
    Member of the .netTiers team http://www.nettiers.com

• That worked! Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately I ran into a similar issue on a related set of tables: dbo.Application, security.User, security.ApplicationUser.

I tried doing the same thing mentioned before about making Application and User fields on the ApplicationUser table the PK. However, it didn't seem to have the same effect. I thought that I should be able to find a property called 'ApplicationCollection_From_ApplicationUser' on the User entity. I couldn't find that property, but I did find 'ApplicationUserCollection'. I'm not sure what the problem could be. The tables seem nearly identical. The only difference that I can see is that the Application table belongs to the dbo schema and Role table belongs to the security schema. Would that matter? Or is there something in my DDL that I'm not seeing?

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Application](
        [Description] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
     CONSTRAINT [PK_Application] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
    (
        [Id] ASC
    ) ON [PRIMARY]

CREATE TABLE [Security].[ApplicationUser](
        [User] [int] NOT NULL,
        [Application] [int] NOT NULL,
     CONSTRAINT [PK_ApplicationUser_1] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
    (
        [User] ASC,
        [Application] ASC
    ) ON [PRIMARY]

GO
    ALTER TABLE [Security].[ApplicationUser]  WITH CHECK ADD  CONSTRAINT [FK_ApplicationUser_Application] FOREIGN KEY([Application])
    REFERENCES [dbo].[Application] ([Id])
    GO
    ALTER TABLE [Security].[ApplicationUser] CHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_ApplicationUser_Application]
    GO
    ALTER TABLE [Security].[ApplicationUser]  WITH CHECK ADD  CONSTRAINT [FK_ApplicationUser_User] FOREIGN KEY([User])
    REFERENCES [Security].[User] ([Id])
    GO
    ALTER TABLE [Security].[ApplicationUser] CHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_ApplicationUser_User]

CREATE TABLE [Security].[User](
        [Account] [int] NULL,
        [AccountCode] [nvarchar](50) NULL,
        [Password] [varchar](32) NULL,
        [Hint] [varchar](200) NULL,
        [Culture] [varchar](10) NULL,
        [Active] [bit] NOT NULL,
     CONSTRAINT [PK_User] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
    (
        [Id] ASC
    ) ON [PRIMARY]

• I just ran your DDL and generated asolution and I see the property in my user entity:

[System.ComponentModel.Bindable(System.ComponentModel.BindableSupport.Yes)]

public virtual TList<Application>ApplicationApplicationCollection_From_ApplicationUser

{

get { returnentityData.ApplicationApplicationCollection_From_ApplicationUser; }

set {entityData.ApplicationApplicationCollection_From_ApplicationUser = value; }  

}

The property name looks kind of weirdbecause it combines the column name from the junction table (Application) withthe name of the reference table (Application), so you end up withApplicationApplicationCollection_From_ApplicationUser.

Did you have to change the definition ofyour table (i.e. remove and id field)?  If so, did you force CodeSmith torefresh the database schema?  It caches the database schema, so it may bepicking up the latest changes.  Just click the ellipses (…) button next toSourceTables and click the Select button. 

Ben Johnson

• Yep, that did the trick. It looks like CodeSmith was caching the DB Schema. And yes I did remove the 'Id' field from both of the tables: ApplicationUser and RoleUser.

Everything is working great. Thanks again for the help!

csd 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)