Welcome to the CodeSmith Community!

Unifying the CodeSmith Generator Experience

CodeSmith Official

CodeSmith Official Blogs

Unifying the CodeSmith Generator Experience

Rate This
  • Comments 10

Over the years there has been a lot of confusion and complaints about the Standard edition of CodeSmith Generator.  Here are just a few of the issues that we see with having two separate editions of CodeSmith Generator:

• Support requests with people who had downloaded the Professional trial and then purchased Standard only to find out that certain templates didn’t work with Standard.
  • A lot of the templates that we have created recently are designed to be used inside of Visual Studio and those features aren’t available in the Standard edition.
  • We have spent a LOT of effort integrating CodeSmith Generator 6.0 even more into Visual Studio, which is not available in the Standard edition.

So we have decided to make a change.  Beginning with 6.0, we will no longer be offering a Standard edition.  There will just be a single version called CodeSmith Generator 6.0.  We think this will make things simpler and allow us to focus on creating the best templates possible going forward.

Thoughts?

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Yup. Perfect Idea. I like the idea a lot.

• Simple is good. I wouldn't consider using anything other than the Professional Edition.  Why have a great tool like CodeSmith if you're not going to create templates with it in Studio?!  Then again, Standard is good for those who work with some framework which supports a particular set of templates.   Unifying the offerings would streamline documentation for a more clear product description.  Eliminating Standard would focus on the capabilities of the Professional Edition and not provide the option of customers thinking how little they have to pay to get in the game. Once they go Professional they'd never want to turn back anyway.  

I'll be looking forward to other users' opinions since I'm probably wrong. :-)

Thanks,

Dave

• You've been kicked (a good thing) - Trackback from DotNetKicks.com

• Agreed, but thats from a CodeSmith Pro user , I originally did just that ans bought std , the very thought of creating templates in Notepad UGH !!! and not having CS Project even worse.

One aspect you should maybe consider , is wether a stand alone editor is a good idea.

While I like the idea of editing in VS , if its going to give VS a performance Hit , I am less keen. There may well be occassions where you are simply developing templates that a separate editor is good, and when you get to test the output for real use the VS embedded versions, which in itself implies an EASY way to turn it off.

If like me you have tools loaded in VS for  other reasons, is it not soon going to slow down the IDE , I have Resharper 6 , SQL prompt , Reflector and now Codesmith 6, each of which does a different job , and NEEDS to be in the IDE to do that job

My criticism of many add ins , is while they are great when you are using them , there may be an occasion where you don't need it active ,so switching it off would be a bonus. I see Codesmith as one of them . Of these above you can easily disable R# and SqlPromt .

Juts a thought ....

Keep up the good work

Mike

• Hello Mike,

Thanks for your feedback. The CodeSmith Generator add-in should never cause a performance hit and will only be loaded when a Generator template is opened. We have done a round of performance testing and if you encounter any issues, please let us know!

• Does this mean that anyone buying right now ends up with the same version (after the 6 release) whether they spend $99 or $299?

• Hello,

No, Standard users will have to pay an upgrade fee for the difference to the professional version when upgrading their license.

• From codesmithtools.com -> "ANNOUNCEMENT: ...  if you buy CodeSmith Generator 5.3 now, you will get a FREE upgrade to 6.0!"

Says it's free, and doesn't limit it to professional.

• I have been with you guys for a long time now and I am one of the ones who started with the $50 version 2.  I waited until v3 and made the jump to the pro version.  I could not imagine not having an IDE be it CS or VS.  I agree with you that unification and a single code base will make a better product and happier customers.  

What I don't know is how many non .NET folks are there that will be lost? SQL, PHP, and possibly but God forbid COBOL...

• Hello,

Thanks for your feedback Khaos. We designed the editor in the manor that would make it much easier for us to create an editor outside of Visual Studio as the current editor is not using any specific Microsoft Features (when it comes to Microsoft's Core Editor).

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment